Have you heard this startling statistic?
33% of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives.
And what’s worse . . . 42% of college graduates never read another book!
Incredible isn’t it! (By the way, the fact that you’re reading this means that you’re far above average – way to go!).
Whether it’s our “entertainment over enlightenment” culture, or just that people think they have it all figured out, somehow as we grow older, we grow less and less teachable. Not a good trait in life, and certainly not a good trait for Worship Leaders.
In order to fully serve the ministries that God has called us to we must remain teachable!
Whether you’ve been in ministry 3 weeks or 30 years . . . you have a PhD or a degree from the School of Ministry Hard Knocks . . . you’re up-to-date on all the latest worship technologies or are still using Windows 95 (if so, you’re the last one – ha!), you and I are never too far along to learn.
As Coach John Wooden said, “It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts.”
Of course remaining teachable is much bigger than reading a book a month (though that’s a great goal that ALL worship leaders should have). Remaining teachable is a mindset!
Developing a teachable mindset is what my brand new Worship Leader Gold Network is all about! And THIS WEEK only you can receive your FIRST MONTH FREE in the Worship Leader Gold network. You’ll instantly receive $813.20 in FREE Bonus resources, have access to TWO coaching calls this month (listen LIVE or download them from your personalized “Coaching Hub” at your convenience), gain access to dozens of Ministry and Leadership Book summaries, and much, much more! I’ve put the complete details in the PS below, so keep reading to learn more!
Today I want to share with you the first of three ways that you and I can remain teachable (and therefore useful) for ministry work in the long run. Here’s the first one…
#1 – See every failure as an opportunity for learning.
There’s a word for the never-ending succession of challenges that you face. It’s called LIFE! And failure will surely be part of it. But failure isn’t really failure… it’s actually an opportunity to learn!
There are some things in ministry that you will only learn by trying and failing at it. And when you do, don’t let it keep you down. Let it be a reminder that God is perfect, you are not, and as long as you keep trying you will also keep failing. But you will keep learning, too!
Poet Archibald MacLeish remarked, “There’s only one thing more painful than learning from experience, and that is not learning from experience.”
So what painful experience have you gone through recently? Have you taken time to learn the lessons of that painful experience and determined to move on and not make that mistake again?
Here’s a simple formula for learning from any failure in just 3 short steps:
#1 – Ask Why: Ask yourself “Why did this happen?” But don’t stop with just asking it once. Keep on asking “why” until you get to the root of the problem. Many failures are the result of deeper systematic issues, not just one-time mistakes.
#2 – Ask What: Ask God, “What do you want to teach me through this failure?” Remember, God never wastes a hurt!
#3 – Ask How: Ask yourself, “How can I take what I’ve learned and move forward so that I don’t fail at this again?”
Mistakes and failures WILL HAPPEN in ministry. And when they do learn from them, get up, dust yourself off, and move forward armed with some new information you didn’t have yesterday.
As author and speaker Tom Hopkins says, “I never see failure as failure, but only as the game I must play to win.”
Learning through failure is the essence of remaining teachable.
Your partner in ministry,
PS – Its true! You will receive your FIRST MONTH FREE in my new Worship Leader Gold Network when you join by THIS FRIDAY, MAY 9!
Worship Leader Gold is all about helping you develop a healthy and growing personal life (spiritual, family boundaries, physical) and ministry life (worship team systems, best practices, latest learnings). Believe it or not… you can have both!
When you join this monthly mentoring network before this Friday, May 9, you will receive your First Month Free, and instantly gain access to:
1) The Worship Leader Gold LIVE MONTHLY UPDATE AND LEADERSHIP BRIEFING.
At the heart of the network is a monthly update and briefing from me via LIVE Conference Call. This monthly “pastor to pastor” call (which will be recorded on MP3 for your library) will be a personal, practical, packed-with-content training where I will challenge you, enlighten you, equip you and guide you to maximize your next season of ministry.
With the Worship Leader Gold Monthly Update and Briefing, you’ll always be one step ahead in your planning and fully inspired and equipped to lead your worship ministry at the highest level ($199.00 per month value).
2) Monthly Equipping Interview/Conference Call – with me, Nelson Searcy, one of our mentors, a noted author or ministry leader – previous interviews include Steve Stroope, Larry Osborne, Patrick Lencioni, Tim Stevens and more. Listen live when you can, and you’ll receive an MP3 recording each month ($195.00 per month value).
3) Two practical, nuts-and-bolts CD’s sent directly to your mailbox each month. Even if you can’t make the live briefing or equipping calls – we’ll be sure you don’t miss a thing each month.
4) Monthly bonus mail package to help you stay on track and ahead of the calendar. This monthly kit will be mailed to you, including recordings, transcripts, members-only opportunities, event invitations and more!
5) Private Call-In-Hours where you can talk directly to me ($295.00 per month value).
6) FREE Church Growth Champions newsletter, featuring pioneers of church growth and evangelism to inspire you and your ministry.
7) NEW – Monthly Book Summaries for the duration of your membership. Your Worship Leader Gold membership includes a complimentary subscription to the leading executive summary service for pastors for no extra charge – that’s 30 book summaries per year ($379.00 per year value).
8) FREE “Growth Points” Newsletter written by Church Growth expert Dr. Gary McIntosh. You will be able to keep up with the latest research and learnings on church growth and church health.
9) RESTRICTED ACCESS Online Membership Site/Blog/Resources ($99.00 per month value). You’ll have instant access to all your Worship Leader Gold benefits, documents, recordings, etc. in your online Worship Leader Gold hub.
10) Continually Updated WORSHIP LEADER GOLD RESOURCE DOCUMENTS AND DIRECTORY ($399.00 per month value). If there’s a document that we use at The Journey or that is shared by someone else in the network (and I think its helpful) I’ll share it with you.
11) Members-Only 30% DISCOUNT on all Worship Leader Insights and Church LeaderInsights Resources ($245.00 value).
12) FREE Webinar Access to all Church Leader Insights and Worship Leader InsightsWebinars ($197.00 per month value).
13) NETWORK ONLY rates on Coaching Networks and Advanced Coaching Networks ($141.00 per month value). As a member of Worship Leader Gold, you’ll be able to enter a future 12-Month Worship Pastor Tele-Coaching Network or put a staff member through one of our other networks at the lowest possible rate.
14) Lowest Event Registration Rate for all Church Leader Insights and Worship LeaderInsights Events ($100.00 per month value), including upcoming Renegade Pastors Conferences and Church Systems Bootcamps.
15) $595.00 SHOPPING SPREE Gift Certificate upon completion of your sixth month in the Network (99.00 per month Value)
16) $813.20 in FREE Resources when you join today! These resources will be waiting for you in yourWorship Leader Gold Online Hub within two hours of the time you join – you can start taking advantage of these resources immediately! AVAILABLE ONLY TO THE FIRST 50 WORSHIP LEADERS TO JOIN.
Total value of resources and training you receive in this network exceed $2,667.00 per month.
But the network is far more than just the resources you receive. The focus this network provides for your ministry and the ideas and insights in your life are simply priceless.
Are you ready to become a member of this exclusive Worship Leader Gold mentoring network?
** Yes Jason, let me in NOW. I’m ready to join Worship Leader Gold and RECEIVE MY FIRST MONTH FREE (just $99 per month thereafter – that’s ONE THIRD the monthly investment of a regular coaching network). But hurry… the FIRST MONTH FREE IS ONLY AVAILABLE THIS WEEK (until this Friday, May 9 at 11:59pm Eastern). Join today! **
TUESDAY MORNING INSIGHTS is Jason Hatley’s free weekly training resource specifically designed to provide you as a worship leader with proven principles, tips and practices to help you lead a healthy and thriving Worship Arts Team.