Developing a Music Plan is one of your most important roles each week. No – I’m not talking about selecting the songs. That’s only part of it.
I’m talking about creating a plan for how the music that you have selected is going to fit into the overall flow of the worship order, help create moments of life transformation, empower members of your team to step up to new levels of leading, and engage your congregation in passionate worship. You know… the easy stuff – ha!
The songs are important, but it’s your Music Plan that will pull all the pieces together and make for a powerful worship set each week.
At The Journey, I ask Five Questions each week to help us develop our plan, and over the next few weeks we’ll dive into each of these (and the system and purpose behind them).
Here’s #1: What’s the Big Idea?
Try to tell only ONE STORY in your worship service each week. If you’re singing five songs about five different topics, and then your pastor introduces a sixth, chances are your congregation will be lost.
Be kind to the congregation (always a good rule) and try to tell just one story.
One of my core values for worship planning is that “The Message Drives the Day”. That means — whatever the theme / topic / idea of the message is, that’s what we’re going to build our music set and music plan around.
Now – that doesn’t mean that the opening song won’t be more like a general “call to worship”, and it doesn’t mean that every song will have the word “Grace” in the title (if the Big Idea is grace). What it does mean is that as you develop the flow of your set, regardless where you start, the theme of the music is building up to the theme of the message.
I know what you’re thinking . . . “Jason – my pastor isn’t able to give me the theme of the message until it’s too late.”
Ideally – the message topic is decided far in advance (using the worship planning system that we teach in Engage and Planning Worship Services for Life Transformation). But if that’s not where you are, then start by just telling one story in the music set.
Here’s what asking this questions will help you do in your planning:
– Simplify the planning process — With so much music being published, being able to identify 1-2 themes for your music will simplify your planning.
– Focus your planning team — Ever been in that music planning meeting where everyone has a different idea of where the set should go? By allowing the message to drive the day, your music planning team can focus on selecting songs and sets that fit the overall topic of the day.
– Build Momentum in your worship set — A sure-fire momentum killer in leading worship is switching gears too quickly or for no reason. When we jump from topic to topic we tend to a) talk to much to transition between songs, and b) disengage the congregation (ever try to carry on a conversation with someone who keeps changing the topic?).
But by building on common themes and selecting strategic transitions (we’ll talk about planning transitions in this series too), you’re able to establish momentum in your set, keep your congregation engaged and tie together all of the elements of the worship service (more on that next week).
So — how are you doing at telling one story? This week ask, “What’s the big idea of the service, and how can we select songs that support it?”
Your partner in ministry,
PS – Are you prayerfully considering joining my NEW Tele-Coaching network for Worship Leaders? I hope so — and I have some good news…
Right now, when you apply before March 1, you will receive the special early-bird rate of $227 per month (saving you $240 off the total network investment — like getting one month FREE!).
Plus – over $872.00 in bonus resources.
Keep reading to learn more, or go to http//:www.worshipleaderinsights.com/coaching to apply today.
For quite a while now you have heard me talk about these Networks (some might even say too much – ha!). I’ll admit – I’m passionate about Coaching!
The Reason? The Results!
I have personally coached over 200 Worship Leaders in the last 7 years through these networks and for many of those:
- The worship team volunteers DOUBLED
- Worship services become MORE CREATIVE and LESS STRESSFUL
- The relationship with the Pastor DEEPENED
- The Worship Leader got MORE done, FASTER, so they could work on the MOST important things (and make it home for dinner each night 🙂
For me – the joy of coaching is in the fruit it brings to your life and your church’s. So YES… I’m passionate, and YES, I would like for you to seriously PRAY about joining this network.
I know there are plenty of excuses not too:
- “I don’t have time.” — In our FIRST session you will learn HOW the network will actually save you time! Plus there is no travel time or expense. Join each session right from your office via the web and our private conference call line.I hope you will pray about this opportunity, and join us for this incredible Coaching experience!
- “It’s not in my budget.” — Many Worship Leaders find the network pays for itself just in the lessons you learned during the Provision Challenge session (we’ll talk about budgeting, equipment purchase standards, how to teach your team to tithe, and more).
PLUS – The network investment is the same as taking a few team members to a big conference this year. BUT with the my network you get over $1400 in FREE resources, hands-on coaching, and more (see below for a full list).
- “I don’t know if I will like it.” — That’s why the network has a 90-Day Guarantee. If at any time before our 4th Coaching session you’re not satisfied, I will personally return every nickel you’ve invested in the network, and you can keep the free resources I have given out up to that point.
- “Maybe next year.” — If you could see these great things happen in your ministry NOW, why would you wait until 2014? Remember the Parable of the Hidden Treasure!
So what do you say? Will you pray about join my new Worship Leader Tele-Coaching Network?
I hope so. . . and I hope that you will apply today. Here’s why…
The Early Bird deadline for my next Coaching Network is March 1, 2013.
And if you apply for the network before then, you will:
* Receive the Early-Bird discounted rate of $227 per month, saving you over $240 on the total network investment (it’s like getting ONE MONTH FREE!),
* Receive over $772.00 in BONUS Resources (including signed copies of my two books, and my “Successful Worship Leader Workshop” – a $499.00 value).
* PLUS – Receive a FREE Download of the “Revolve: Changing the Way You See Worship” message series – a $99.95 value.
That’s $1,112.00 in Savings and Bonuses if you apply by March 1 and are accepted into the network.
Just go to www.worshipleaderinsights.com/coaching to apply online. It takes about 7 minutes.
You can also download an application if you prefer, view Worship Leader testimonies, and more while you’re there.
PPS – Here are the full details of my upcoming Worship Leader Tele-Coaching Network.
WHEN YOU GROW, YOUR TEAM WILL GROW
Here’s a powerful question for you: What could you do over the next year that would dramatically impact the development of your worship ministry and your personal growth as a leader more than this network?
Imagine for a moment, what if …
- Your worship team could double over the next year and so could your personal effectiveness?
- You could consistently get everything done at the office, manage your staff and volunteers well, see consistent growth in excellence and still get home on time for dinner and family fun each night?
- You could develop personal leadership growth habits that help you lead yourself and your team at an optimum level?
- You could achieve greater clarity and a stronger working relationship with your pastor?
- You were able to work with your pastor to plan your services months in advance, and create more impactful services than ever before, while reducing the stress of Sunday?
What would your life and church look like one year from now if your worship team and effectiveness grew by 50%?
I can’t promise these results but I can say that they are typical of results I’ve seen in the over 200 worship pastors who have completed my coaching process over the last 5 years.
I’m not teaching you theory or stuff that I’ve only read about. I’m coaching you as a fellow worship pastor and practitioner who is in the trenches day after day leading a growing worship ministry. In addition, the coaching process that I will lead you through is a proven process that has been effective with over 200 churches who have been through this coaching process, and hundreds more who have taken part in my one-day seminars.
** If you are ready to apply now, click here to read more and apply online: https://worshipleaderinsights.com/coaching
COACHING WILL HELP YOU ACCOMPLISH MORE
Instead of you flying to our office in New York City for an ‘in person’ coaching network, you will participate in this coaching network via your telephone and your computer.
Think about it, you will experience the same network experience that others have experienced while SAVING THOUSANDS of dollars in travel costs and SAVING DOZENS OF HOURS on cross-country flights.
YOU GET FREE RESOURCES (UNLIKE OTHER NETWORKS)
The short answer . . . I will share every worship ministry and personal development principle I know and give you every resource I’ve developed to help you implement each principle.
Don’t worry, it will not be overwhelming . . . everything will be delivered in a manageable bits over the course of the year.
All that said, here’s the ‘official list’ of all that you receive:
- Monthly hands-on coaching from me.
- A proven coaching process that leads to growth and health.
- Over $1419.00 in FREE resources from Worship Leader Insights.
- Unlimited email access to me and the WLI team.
- A monthly coaching environment where everyone is focused on a Kingdom agenda.
- MP3s of each session for your review. NOTE: Even if you miss the exact date, you can listen to the network at your leisure.
- Free attendance at all WLI training events during your network.
- Private “call-in” times with me to have your specific questions answered in more detail.
- NEW – a private weekend training event (in sunny South Florida) exclusively for Tele-Coaching members, complete with a behind-the-scenes look at The Journey on a Sunday morning ($1500 value)
- The opportunity to grow and take your church to the next level.
Plus much, much more . . .
As you can see, just the tangible benefits you will receive as part of this network will far out-weigh your monthly financial investment.
** If you are ready to apply now, click here to read more and apply online: https://worshipleaderinsights.com/coaching
I WILL INVEST IN YOU EACH MONTH FOR ONE YEAR
Each phone call is 90-minutes long and we will meet monthly for one year. This is a big commitment but I want to make sure that we fully cover all 7 of the Worship Leader Challenges and I’ve outlined in my resources.
You will complete the network with a personal library worth of worship ministry leadership materials and personal development insights.
I have a degree in Sacred Music, and I can guarantee you that what you will learn in this network is the ‘practical, will work tomorrow’ stuff they don’t teach in college or seminary!
YOU WILL DISCOVER AND OVERCOME THE SEVEN CHALLENGES OF A WORSHIP LEADER
We will cover each of my Seven Challenges of a Worship Pastor plus issues related to personal development, time management and more. As a reminder, the seven challenges are:
* The Personal Challenge – How to develop personal leadership growth habits that help you lead yourself and your team at an optimum level
* The Pastor Challenge – How to achieve clarity and a develop a strong working relationship with your pastor
* The Planning Challenge – How to plan your services months in advance, and create more impactful services than ever before.
* The People Challenge – How to double your Worship Team volunteers and strengthen their commitment to the church through a proven audition system that leads to growth and health.
* The Provision Challenge – How to invest wisely the resources spent on the Sunday service for now and the future, especially in a troubled economy
* The Professionalism Challenge – How to create a culture of excellence that brings the very best out of you and your volunteers
* The Production Challenge – How to ensure that every Sunday service is successfully planned for and executed, with nothing left to chance
FINALLY, A COACHING NETWORK TO FIT YOUR BUSY SCHEDULE
Each Tele-Coaching call will be from 11:00am – 12:30pm Eastern Time. Literally, you could call in to the network from anywhere in the world. Cool, huh?
All the calls are on Fridays, which I’ve found to be the best day for most worship pastors, but I also understand that you may have to adjust your schedule..
Remember, each call is only two hours so even if you have to step out of a meeting or call in from home, it will not consume your entire day. Here are the dates:
- April 12, 2013
- May 10, 2013
- June 14, 2013
- July 12, 2013
- August 9, 2013
- September 13, 2013
- October11, 2013
- November 8, 2013
- December 13, 2013
- January 10, 2014
- February 7, 2014
- March 7, 2014
YOUR OWN PERSONAL CHURCH GROWTH LIBRARY
I strongly encourage you to make every date a priority but I also know that ministry is messy and uncertain so I will record every session and you will receive the complete MP3’s of each session within a day or two of meeting. If you attend, the MP3 is for your library and for your review. If you are unable to attend, you will still be able to gain the full experience.
AN UNBELIEVABLE OPPORTUNITY DEMANDS A GREAT GUARANTEE
As I mentioned earlier, this network is not for everyone but if you choose to apply and you are accepted, I would like to offer you a no-hassle, no questions asked guarantee.
Here it is: I’m so confident that you will find this Network beneficial that any time prior to the fourth monthly meeting (June 14, 2013) you can call my office and tell me that this network isn’t benefiting your church or your leadership ability and I will refund everything you have invested, including any long distance costs you might have incurred. Plus, you can keep any of the resources, MP3s or seminar materials that you have received to date.
In other words, I want to remove any fear you might have in joining this network. You can try it for four months with absolutely NO RISK!
YOUR RESULTS WILL EXCEED THE FINANCIAL INVESTMENT OF THIS NETWORK
I have tried to keep the monthly investment in this network as low as possible. But remember, you are receiving thousands of dollars of resources, free passes to my seminars, email support and private consulting. At the same time, you are saving thousands of dollars in hotel, flight costs, rental car expenses, gas, etc.
That said, the monthly investment is $227 per month if your application is received by March 1, 2013 ($247 per month after March 1). Once you are accepted, your credit card will be charged for the first two months.
HOWEVER, with the Tele-Coaching network…
- You get 12-months of hands on personal training with systems that ACTUALLY work in churches of all shapes and sizes
- You walk away with $1419.00 of FREE Resources (try doing that at the resource table for your next Worshp Conference)
- The training doesn’t end after 3 days… in addtion to the 12-monthly session, you get audio MP3’s of each session, meaning you walk away with a library ofover 24 hours of nuts-and-bolts practical systems to build a health and growing worship ministry and share with the key leaders in your church.
- Personalized Q&A call-in session to have all of your questions answered about what we disucss in each session
- Plus much more
** If you are ready to apply now, click here to read more and apply online:
I WILL PERSONALLY HELP YOU GROW EACH MONTH
In addition to the monthly call, you will be assigned to read or listen to one of my resources plus another book (generally, a business book with clear application to ministry). While the network will stretch you to grow, study and read, it will not be overwhelming. I’ll help you prioritize so you can get the most from the network.
At the same time, there will be opportunities for you to share your ideas and learnings from the network plus you’ll be able to submit prayer requests and ask questions to me and everyone else in the network.
OTHERS HAVE EXPERIENCED GREAT RESULTS – SO CAN YOU
While I certainly can’t guarantee that our network will in any way produce the same fruit as previous networks, I can share what I’ve seen God do in the past! I’ve seen:
- Worship Leaders who were stuck in their leadership, break through to new levels of personal effectiveness
- Worship Teams double in a year
- Worship Leaders become so effective that they never miss a day off again
- Pastors write me letters thanking me for helping their worship leader
I could keep going but let me allow some of my coaching alumni pastors to share their results:
“Join this network! We all need to be growing in our leadership and there’s no better way to grow than to get into a network. Jason does a great job of identifying seven universal challenges that we all face. Once you are fully aware of these challenges and are armed with the tools that Jason gives you in the network to overcome them, you will begin to soar in your effectiveness as a Worship Pastor.”
– Mike Martindale, Westside Community Church Beaverton, OR
“I did not know what to expect from this network, but all I know is that after the very first session, I was inspired, motivated and mostly importantly, humbled.”
– Jean Sandoval, New Life Church Meriden, CT
“This is an excellent network for learning some great skills in implementing systems in your church. You are worth it; your church is worth it.”
– Archie Jackson, South Bay Church San Jose, CA
“I felt encouraged to grow in my weaker areas of my ministry. I didn’t feel beaten down; instead I was given systems that could help me in areas I have always struggled with in the past. Even my team could tell the difference!”
– Lisa Johnson, Valley Brook Community Church Granby, CT
“It’s worth every penny!”
– Dave Swanson, Calvary Fellowship West Hartford, CT
Visit www.worshipleaderinsights.com/coaching for additional video testimonies from worship leaders just like you!
MY CALLING IS TO HELP YOU GROW
God has given me a unique opportunity to serve in a church that is not only passionate about reaching and discipling people, but also returning what we have learned back to the kingdom so that other churches can do the same in their cities and towns.
In the last 11 years of my ministry here, I have been able to build systems for developing a thriving worship ministry that have worked not only here, but in churches all over the country. The reason I am doing this network is because I want to see you succeed in fulfilling your mission in the local church, and I believe with all my heart that this network can give you tools, insights, and systems to do exactly that.
LEARN FROM THE EXPERIENCE OF A SYSTEMS-BUILDING WORSHIP PASTOR
In 2002, Jason Hatley helped launch The Journey Church in New York City, directing the programming of their worship services. He served as the Pastor of Worship Arts and has built from scratch The Journey’s worship arts team, a group of over 200 artists and technicians who develop and implement the creative and technical elements at weekly Sunday services.
Currently, Jason and his family live in Boca Raton, FL to serve as the Pastor of Worship Arts at The Journey’s newest location in South Florida.
The Journey has been recognized as one of Outreach Magazines fastest growing and most creative churches.
Jason has been a worship leader since 1996. He invests in Worship Pastors around the country through interactive coaching networks and worship planning resources. He has been a featured break-out speaker at the Willow Creek Arts Conference (2007-2009), The Purpose Drive Worship Conference (2003-2004), as well as seminars around the country. He has a B.M. in Sacred Music Performance from Appalachian State University.
Jason is the founder of WorshipLeaderInsights.com, the author of nearly a dozen resources on Worship Leadership, including the brand new books Engage: A Guide to Creating Life-Transforming Worship Services and Revolve: A New Way to See Worship.
YOUR NEXT STEP
Please complete the application and return it to my office ASAP. I am reviewing applications right now and will try to review your application and let you know within two weeks, but please bear with me. We are receiving a great response to this network.
Let me know if you have any questions . . . just reply to this email.
Pastor of Worship Arts
The Journey Church
TUESDAY MORNING INSIGHTS is Jason Hatley’s free weekly training resource specifically designed to provide you as a worship leader with proven principles, tips and practices to help you lead a healthy and thriving Worship Arts Team.
About Jason Hatley and Worship Leader Insights In 2002, Jason Hatley helped launch The Journey Church in New York City, directing the programming of their worship services. He serves as the Pastor of Worship Arts and built from scratch The Journey’s worship arts team, a group of over 200 artists and technicians who develop and implement the creative and technical elements at weekly Sunday services. The Journey has been recognized as one of Outreach Magazines fastest growing and most creative churches.
Jason has been a worship leader since 1996. He invests in Worship Pastors around the country through interactive coaching networks and worship planning resources. He has been a featured break-out speaker at the Willow Creek Arts Conference, The Purpose Drive Worship Conference, as well as seminars around the country. He has a B.M. in Sacred Music Performance from Appalachian State University.
Jason is the author of Engage: A Guide to Creating Life-Transforming Worship Services and Revolve: A New Way to See Worship as well as over a dozen worship leader personal and ministry growth resources.
Jason and his family currently live in Boca Raton, FL where he serves as the Pastor of Worship Arts at The Journey’s newest campus in South Florida.