Last week we started this discussion on what we can and can’t do to help our team members grow. After all, there are things we can (and MUST) do as the pastors and leaders in this area, but there are also some things that simply CANNOT do for our team members. . . things they have to do for themselves in order to grow spiritually and in their ministry roles.
Today I want to focus on one of the things WE MUST do. Something I consider to be the primary growth factor of your worship team . . . YOU! That’s right – the growth and health of your team and my team is largely dependent on how you and I are growing as leaders.
John Maxwell called this the Law of the Lid saying, “Leadership ability is the lid that determines a person’s level of effectiveness. The lower an individual’s ability to lead, the lower the lid of his or her potential. The higher the leadership, the greater the effectiveness.”
We are effective in leading and growing our teams to the extent that we are leading and growing ourselves. I’ve seen this law applied to everyone of the 150+ worship leaders I’ve coached over the last 5 years . . . and to myself too!
As a young worship leader 10 years ago, I didn’t have the skills that I needed to build teams, plan worship services, even manage a task list. There were a lot of books I needed to read, seminars I needed to attend, worship leaders I need to meet and get coached by.
It was work, but it was worth it! I bet you have a similar experience.
I call this the Personal Challenge. The Personal Challenge is the first and most important challenge that you face in ministry. It is the challenge of becoming the leader that God has called you to be.
To be effective in helping our team members grow we have to understand a VERY POWERFUL PRINCIPLE of ministry leadership:
In order to see my team become more, I have to become more through God’s power and my determination.
You see, many worship leaders are disappointed that they are not seeing the members of their team grow. . . that they are dealing with some of the same challenges they’ve been facing for far too long. But personal growth always precedes team growth.
Here are 3 things you can do this month to accelerate your growth (and the growth of your team).
#1 – Ask God to fuel your passion for leadership growth. Don’t separate your leadership growth from your spiritual growth. Remember, “God wants us to grow up… like Christ in everything” (Eph. 4:15 MSG) , and I believe he is honored when we take seriously the call to lead our team members and ministries to the next level.
#2 – Invest in your own leadership growth. Read a leadership book, listen to a ministry leadership resource (like The Successful Worship Leader Workshop), get coached by a worship leader who has been through your current challenge and succeeded in overcoming it. Investing in your leadership growth will catapult you forward. And the Law of the Lid says that only then will your team be able to follow.
#3 – Share your growth plan with other leaders on your team. Great ministry leaders know that God never grows you just for you, but so that you can take what you learn and add value to those around you as well. By investing in the leadership growth of other leaders around you (staff or volunteer) you will exponentially increase your ability to lead your team at the next level and help them grow.
Over the next 30 days, what will you do to raise the lid and help your team grow?
Your partner in ministry,
PS – Here is a POWERFUL way to raise the lid of your leadership over the next 30 days. . .
Not too long ago, I invited a handful of worship pastors and coaching alumni to a special session where I invested two days teaching everything I know about how to grow your leadership ability and overcome the seven major challenges of a worship pastor.
Here’s just a sample of what I taught:
- How to make your worship service 10% better this Sunday (yep, this Sunday. There’s a small, but powerful process that I teach that only a small percentage of churches utilize, but the ones who do, know the secret to how to make the Sunday service better this Sunday!)
- How overcoming one specific challenge is the key to overcoming all other challenges that you face as a worship leader.
- How to implement the 5 Step Process for Personal development that will not only make you a better leader, but your staff and volunteers (and even your Pastor), too!
- How to develop a personal growth plan that will ensure your leadership growth over the next year.
- How to maximize the Pastor/Worship Pastor relationship so that you are working together toward the same goals for your services.
- How to excel in the role you play on staff at your church, and make yourself totally irreplaceable
- How to create a one-year preaching plan that unleashes your creativity in worship planning.
- How to relieve the stress of planning your worship services by planning not just weeks out, but months out.
- How to schedule and run effective worship planning meetings, so that the best ideas rise to the top, and you have the time and resources to implement them.
- How to create elements of worship that you never thought possible because you didn’t have the structure, the time, or the volunteers to implement them.
- How to plan an entire 6 weeks (or more!) of music in one powerful meeting
- How to effectively evaluate your worship services so that it continually improves
- How to establish a leadership development system that increases your volunteers’ commitment to the church, the team, and their own personal growth
- How to double your worship team volunteers in a day through a proven, step-by-step, plug-and-play system.
- How to create multiple points of entry to your team so that you ALWAYS have an influx of new interest in serving on your team.
- How to create seasons for your team that will exponentially increase your volunteers, while caring for those already on your team
- How to invest wisely into your worship services, including proven guidelines for purchasing equipment.
- How to create a culture of excellence that draws the very best out of yourself and your volunteers
- How answering one question can accelerate the quality of your worship services.
- How to personally prepare for the weekend worship service so that you are always at your peak.
- How to ensure that every worship service is the very best that it can be!
That group of worship leaders challenged to me share every nugget of leadership and ministry growth that I could fit into those two days.
We decided to record those 8 sessions (totaling over 8.5 hours of fast-paced, nuts and bolts teaching), and after the overwhelmingly positive reception from those in attendance, we released those “closed door sessions” in THE SUCCESSFUL WORSHIP LEADER WORKSHOP.
As you can see, this is not a one dimensional resource. This is a complete, nuts-and-bolts, everything you need, in-depth resource that can can help you worship leader lead your worship ministry to exceptional growth and effectiveness, regardless of worship style or denominational tradition!
By implementing the strategies and systems in THE SUCCESSFUL WORSHIP LEADER, you can:
- Develop a personal leadership growth plan that will empower you to lead at an optimum level
- Work with the Senior Pastor more closely and with greater clarity
- Reduce the stress of week to week planning by planning farther ahead than ever before, and creating more impactful services than ever before
- Increase the commitment of your current worship team, while growing your worship arts team by over 50%, 75%, even 100% in one day through a proven auditions system
- Make the most of the resources spent on the Sunday service for now and the future
- Create a culture of excellence for your worship leader and your volunteers
- Ensure that every Sunday service is successfully planned for and executed
- And much more!
You also receive a TON of resources featuring a 70 page notebook, actual documents created and used at The Journey for worship planning, audition applications, new team member orientation, and much more!
If you want to maximize your leadership growth over the next 30 days, I encourage you to pick up your copy of THE SUCCESSFUL WORSHIP LEADER today!
Secure your 10-CD set here:
Download your copy here and save $100.00:
TUESDAY MORNING INSIGHTS is Jason Hatley’s free weekly training resource specifically designed to provide you as a worship leader with proven principles, tips and practices to help you lead a healthy and thriving Worship Arts Team.
About Jason Hatley and Worship Leader Insights
In 2002, Jason Hatley helped launch The Journey Church in New York City, directing the programming of their worship services. He serves as the Pastor of Worship Arts and built from scratch The Journey’s worship arts team, a group of over 200 artists and technicians who develop and implement the creative and technical elements at weekly Sunday services. The Journey has been recognized as one of Outreach Magazines fastest growing and most creative churches.
Jason has been a worship leader since 1996. He invests in Worship Pastors around the country through interactive coaching networks and worship planning resources. He has been a featured break-out speaker at the Willow Creek Arts Conference, The Purpose Drive Worship Conference, as well as seminars around the country. He has a B.M. in Sacred Music Performance from Appalachian State University.
Jason and his family currently live in Boca Raton, FL where he serves as the Pastor of Worship Arts at The Journey’s newest campus in South Florida.